Wednesday, March 19, 2014

The Island of Communication, Collaboration, and Creation (IC3)

In this post I want to talk about a project I am in the process of implementing in our media center. I call it the island of communication, collaboration, and creation (IC3). I discussed this idea with the media coordinator and I asked her if it would be okay to take a section of the library and put a large hexagon table where four to five computers would be placed and used for the sole purpose of collaboration and creation. Not only did I want this spot to be a central location for students to create and collaborate but I also wanted it to be a social hub, a place where students can see other students working in what I like to call A real-world environment. I want students to be curious about what other students are creating. The key word being “CREATING”. This area is also home to our small TV studio, complete with video cameras, lighting, and green screen. Students and teachers are welcome to use this area with the understanding that it must be used for projects where students invent, innovate, deconstruct, reconstruct, and the projects should encourage collaboration between students and or between students and teachers. 


The first group to use the island worked on a project that included lessons in social studies, math, science, reading, as well as digital skills. The students were using language that consisted of vocabulary like: (what if) (my design) (lets think about this) (i don’t think that will work) (hey wait a minute lets try this) (wow I never knew that). I stood by and facilitated and offered support when needed and more than an hour passed by in a flash. The students asked if they had to stop, would they be able to come back and continue tomorrow? IMAGINE if this was what learning was like all the time. So far I am pleased with the space we have created. Hope this inspires all to THINK DIFFERENT and to BE FEARLESS!

No comments:

Post a Comment