As a self-proclaimed tech ninja I get stopped all the time for technology advice specifically oh my computer stopped working what do I do or I have a virus, how do I get rid of it. Most times I just do a clean install, but with that I have to spend hours reinstalling all the programs that I (more likely they) have on their computers. That was until I found a really cool tool that has saved me so much time over the years ninite.com.
With Ninite, you can install various free applications at once and best of all it's free. Just go to Ninite.com and mark the checkboxes for free applications you want to install on your computer. The catalog is diverse and includes must haves such as Google Chrome and VLC, but also less well know choices. According to ninite.com they will only add popular user requested apps. No more do you have to wait for each program to download and go through the installer. Their website says they provide over 500,000 downloads a day and state that Ninite will
- start working as soon as you run it
- not bother you with any choices or options
- install apps in their default location
- say no to toolbars or extra junk
- install 64-bit apps on 64-bit machines
- install apps in your PC's language or one you choose
- do all its work in the background
- install the latest stable version of an app
- skip up-to-date apps
- skip any reboot requests from installers
- use your proxy settings from Internet Explorer
- download apps from each publisher's official site
- verify digital signatures or hashes before running anything
- save you a lot of time!
All installations are standard, this means that they won’t install unwanted software like toolbars, junk or other add-ons and there is no spyware or any other type of malware in their installers or other applications. Its a great tool. Ninite is available for Windows or Linux, but not Mac. They have a Pro edition which is meant to be used for up to 100 computers, which is available for $20 a month. For those who want even more help, they have an updater that cost $10 a year and will keep your programs updated.