Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Condescending Attitude with Technology



Well first I want to apologize for not having another post specifically about technology, I know most of you are not coming for my opinions, but I just wanted to get something off my chest.  Technology still makes a lot of people afraid (but mainly adults).  It is for this reason that if you are able to manipulate technology well then, you may intimidate others.  However, those who do will with technology often have a condescending attitude to those who don't.  Now I will be the first to admit that I am as guilty of this as the next person.  Some of it is me, some of it is the people I am trying to help.  But, what I do know is that it needs to stop.

Technology needs to be a great equalizer, not a divergent force.  I had the pleasure a few days ago of sitting through a presentation from someone who thought they were doing a great job, but in reality taught me nothing.  He clearly was not prepare, but that didn't bother him, he thought he was showing us these amazing apps.  He wasn't, there wasn't anything new, just the same old hits.

But this got me thinking, and I know that at times I can come across the same way.  I don't mean to, and know it happens more when I am in a rush, trying to get 101 things done in my spare 15 minutes.  But that is no excuse.  I will have to try hard to make sure I am not coming across as a condescending jerk face.  As you continue you tech ninja training, try and be aware of how you come across to other.

No comments:

Post a Comment